Monday, November 09, 2009

Marine Corps Marathon - the finish line!

Before I forget, the best part of the Marine Corps Marathon 2009 was, of course, finishing it. I knew this before 'the race' started, but somehow I was reminded at about mile 18, while what were formerly known as 'my legs' gave out. All of a sudden, the muscles above and behind my knees decided to rebel. My mind was supposed to override this feeling (mind over matter) but somehow the body proved stronger!

Anyway, I did finish and was mighty glad. I was then pleasantly surprised to learn the finishers' medals were awarded by the Marines themselves. Somehow the task now felt even more Herculean, and I was ready to bask in the brief glory of feeling like a Marine for about 5 seconds. Worth it? Well, I'm not sure I'm up for Marathon Number 4 just yet (I did the London in 2000 and New York in 2004). But it's definitely the best part to get a medal to make sense of those miles from 18-26, which remain a blur. Know any good knee doctors?
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment