Saturday, May 03, 2008

American literature

I am teaching my first survey in American literature in the autumn of 2008, or the "fall" as I now find myself saying. I am converted! The idea of teaching American literature - the second half as it's called, so post-Civil War 1865 to 2008 amuses me. There I'll be, the Brit among the Americans, teaching them about their own literature, or trying to, making claims, tracing roots to the British literature it is entangled with, all the time knowing I am the Brit among the American believers.

No longer can I claim the authority of being a Brit teaching English ("British") Literature. No I must make claims that I am qualified - having my PhD - to teaching Americans about their own best writing! Check out my syllabus on http://www.mattfullerty.com/
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment